Episode data issue
For entity: https://trakt.tv/shows/the-best-defense
There appears to be an issue with the data as represented on trakt.tv. While viewing the show, you see 7 seasons of 13 episodes each. Now when looking at the details for collection on the right, you see that the collected numbers are xx/26 episodes. A total of 26 episodes accounts for only 2 seasons of 13. I suspect the reason for this is aired dates as reported by TVDB. I have tried addressing this issue with TMDB, but their stance is that no aired date means it was never aired. No one seems to account for the idea that people may not know the aired date, as in this case.
I addressed this issue with them on an example of an episode on a different series being listed that was never aired. Their response is that because there is no aired date and the episode does appear on the DVD release, it is good as-is. There is an issue here of data being used differently than it is intended to be representing the series.
We required an air date to calculate the progress, unfortunately not much we can change with that. There are several valid cases with a blank date (unaired episode, future episode, bad data from TVDB, etc) so we standardize on requiring a date. The difference is broadcast vs. dvd only release which seems to be the difference in this case. There isn’t a clear cut solution without adding a lot of false positives into the progress numbers for other shows.
I agree with your statement. As long as the issue is known. The problem, to me, is on the side on TVDB and TMDB, the sources of the data used. They have no interest in the issue and believe their system is "fine as-is", apparently being ok with inaccuracies and misrepresentations in their data. Also wanted to note that this is not the only example of misrepresentation of data due to aired dates.